Status of OCCC Programs and Services
Oregon Coast Community College (OCCC) delivers college credit instruction, certificates and degrees through its Inter-Governmental Agreement with Portland Community College (PCC). PCC is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is a regional post-secondary accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Credits, certificates and degrees earned at OCCC appear on PCC transcripts and are transferable to other institutions, subject to the specific policies of the receiving institutions.
OCCC progress towards independent accreditation
Effective January 8, 2016, Oregon Coast Community College was granted Applicant status as a Candidate for Accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Candidate for Accreditation is a per-accredited affiliate status with the Commission. It is a status of recognition by the Commission that the institution meets the eligibility requirements and is progressing toward accreditation. (It does not, however, imply or ensure eventual accreditation by the Commission.)
OCCC is now engaged in our next phase towards accreditation, completing our self-evaluation to apply for initial Candidacy. NWCCU has scheduled their evaluation visit to occur in Spring 2018. Our self-study report will be filed with NWCCU in January of 2018.
Our institutional self-evaluation is the most significant part of the accreditation process. It must be comprehensive, encompass the entire institution, and address the Commission’s accreditation criteria and be viewed as an ongoing process to understand, evaluate, and improve quality and effectiveness by:
• analyzing institutional resources and effectiveness in fulfilling its mission;
• demonstrating that student achievement is commensurate with the certificates, diplomas, degrees, or other recognition awarded;
• appraising the relationship of all the institution’s activities to its purposes;
• providing a sound basis for institutional planning and improvement;
• assessing educational achievements as well as structures and processes;
• assessing student achievement with respect to programs and services offered to accomplish educational purposes
The links below will be updated to reflect ongoing progress.
NWCCU letter RE: initial Candidacy Evaluation July 19, 2017
NWCCU letter granting Applicant Status Jan. 29, 2016
OCCC Application For Consideration 2015 Oct 27, 2015
OCCC Year 7 Self-Evaluation Report (Filed as a stand-alone report with PCC’s Year 7 Self-Evaluation Report)
NWCCU Response 08-26-2014
OCCC’s Report to the NWCCU 07-14-2014