Oregon Coast Community College students who wish to use Veterans Educational Benefits while attending OCCC should follow these steps to get started:

Step 1: Apply with the VA

● Apply for your Veterans Educational Benefits online at ebenefits.va.gov.

● You will need the following to complete your application:

1)  VA File Number (also called your VA Claim Number and is often your Social Security Number or if you are a dependent, the veteran’s SSN)

2)  DD214’s for each period of active service.

3)  Which chapter benefits you are applying for.

● When applying for benefits with the VA choose Portland Community College as your school because OCCC students’ Veterans Educational Benefits are processed through PCC.

● Complete the application at least 6 weeks before you plan on attending classes.

● Your local Veteran Service Office can assist you with your application or in determining which benefit you are eligible to receive. You can contact Lincoln County’s VSO at 541-574-6955 or vets@co.lincoln.or.us.


Step 2: Get admitted to OCCC

Apply online 

● The online admission application is free and takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once you submit your admissions application, you will receive an email with important next steps.

● Note: OCCC has an open admissions policy, but keep in mind limited entry programs (Aquarium Science, Medical Assisting, Nursing and Nursing Assistant) have specific entrance requirements. Please visit that program’s webpage to view their specific requirements.


Step 3: Meet Veterans’ Liaison in student services at 541-867-8503, student.services@oregoncoastcc.org

● Meet with OCCC’s Veterans’ Liaison to establish a file with OCCC.student.services@oregoncoastcc.org

● Turn in a completed Veteran Services rights and responsibilities and a completed Request for change of program or place of training: Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or a Request for change of program or place of training: Form 22-5495 (for dependents). These can also be found at http://www.pcc.edu/enroll/paying-for-college/veterans/talk-with-a-specialist.html under ‘What do I need to bring?’ or at the front counter of Student Services.

● After talking to the Veterans’ Liaison, submit your class schedule for certification after you register for classes by going onto your MyPCC account, clicking the Paying for College tab, clicking on the Veterans Educational Benefits option, and selecting the term that you want certified from the drop down menu. You will need to submit your schedule at the beginning of every term.


Step 4: Apply for financial aid

● Use financial aid in addition to your Veterans Educational Benefits to get the maximum amount of money for school.

● Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

● When applying for financial aid use Portland Community College’s school code 003213 because OCCC students’ financial aid is processed through PCC.

● Applications take 6-8 weeks to process.


Because benefits are certified through Portland Community College, more information can be found on PCC’s website at http://www.pcc.edu/enroll/paying-for-college/veterans/.